Friday, April 27, 2012

Fashion Friday - Gold

Each Friday I will discover and share up to five items I would purchase if money were no object. The series will be called "Fashion Friday".

For today's Fashion Friday, we are going gold. I found the gold dress below and designed an outfit based around the dress. What made me pick this dress? It is a William Travilla. Maybe you are asking "Who the heck is William Travilla?" Don't worry, I won't make you google it. William Travilla was a fashion designer best know for his costume design on Marilyn Monroe films [Monkey Business (1952), Don't Bother to Knock (1953), Gentleman Prefer Blonds (1953), How to Marry a Millionaire (1953), There's No Business Like Show Business (1954), River of No Return (1954), Seven Year Itch (1955), and Bus Stop (1956)]. In the future, when you think Travilla you should think about these stunning ensembles:




 



To say he was brilliant would be an understatement.

I found this late 1950's, maybe early 1960's, William Travilla dress and coat set on Etsy. "They are made from  ombre silk satin brocade that changes from a bright golden yellow at the top to a deep brown toward the bottom. The intricate brocade is sewn with a gold metallic thread. The dress has an elegant cut, square neckline, short sleeves with a fitted bust and waist. The skirt has wide double box pleats to the sides of the waist and around the back. A bow above each pleat in the front, which was one of Travilla's signature touches in this collection. The skirt is lined with a mix of net and silk organza with a brown silk underskirt sewn inside. Metal zipper up the back. Labels include "Travilla" and the dress shop "Jenny". The matching coat is lavish. A collar running to the waistline which crosses in the front, closing with a hook and eye. Two bows at the waist mimicking the dress. 3/4 length tapered sleeves and a back pleat running from the neck to the waist. The skirt of the coat is full with large box pleats around the front, one in the back with two kick pleats toward the hem. The coat is fully lined with a beautiful deep brown silk satin. Labels include the dress shop, "Jenny, Cincinnati, Ohio" and a 16 size label.

Cost of this one of a kind dress: $1,250.00
Measurements:
Bust: 43"/44"
Waist: 31"
Hips: 44"(lining is fitted)
Width Between Shoulder Seams: @15"/15 1/2"
Length: 42"
Skirt Length: 25"
 





What would I pair with the Travilla dress?

I'd first pair it with this amazing vintage carved Lucite purse with silver and gold confetti stars ($595.00 - remember money is not an object on this shopping spree).






With a dress so beautiful and a purse so bold, you might as well go bold with your jewelry as well. I choose a vintage 1950's Weiss signed aurora borealis rhinestone bracelet and earring set ($85). "Dazzling yellow gold tone and aurora borealis rhinestone bracelet and clip earrings set is signed WEISS on each piece. The prong set rhinestones are in an amber tone with iridescence that sparkles in the colors of the rainbow. The bracelet is about 7 1/4" by 9/16" and the matching clip back earrings are about 1 1/4" long."




Every beautiful outfit needs an equally beautiful hat or flower accessory. Why not have both with this veiled gold flower fascinator ($42).






The final gold icing on the cake, 1950s gold Springolator heels with rhinestone ($69.00).









The best part about this outfit (if I could afford over $2,000 for one outfit) is that it would actually fit me; though the dress would be a few inches too large.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Baci
HRF
__________________________________________________________________________



Where you can find these amazing clothes if you are rich or want to stare as I do:
Dress & coat: http://www.etsy.com/listing/90044395/rare-1950s-vintage-couture-william?ref=sr_gallery_27&ga_search_query=COUTURE&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=ZZ&ga_min=0&ga_max=0&ga_search_type=all
Purse:  http://www.etsy.com/listing/78685398/rare-vintage-carved-lucite-purse-silver?ref=sr_gallery_5&ga_search_query=GOLD+LUCITE&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=ZZ&ga_min=0&ga_max=0&ga_order=price_desc&ga_page=0&ga_search_type=all
Jewelry: http://www.etsy.com/listing/94528242/vintage-1950s-weiss-signed-aurora?ref=sr_gallery_39&ga_search_query=weiss&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=ZZ&ga_min=0&ga_max=0&ga_page=2&ga_search_type=all
Fascinator/Hat: http://www.etsy.com/listing/91101554/veiled-gold-flower-fascinator?ref=sr_gallery_44&ga_search_query=gold+hat&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=ZZ&ga_min=0&ga_max=0&ga_order=price_desc&ga_page=3&ga_search_type=all
Shoes: http://www.etsy.com/listing/97854063/1950s-60s-gold-springolator-heels-with?ref=sr_gallery_11&gaga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=ZZ&ga_min=0&ga_max=0&ga_page=2&ga_search_type=all

3 comments:

  1. Gaaaaaah *falls over.* Ok, I think I like the coat more than the dress. The dress is a bit too boxy for my liking. But the SHOES! Of course you saved them for last, I was looking for them! Definitely my favourite item out of your selections. And out of all the Marilyn dresses pictured, I LOVE the red one she wore with Jane Russell. My favourite Marilyn item ever would be the black monkey-fur trimmed coat in Some Like it Hot. Do you know if that's a Travilla design too?
    Sorry, did you expect a short comment on this post?? :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did some quick research; it appears that he didn't design that coat. I found it here under major roles instead of Travilla: http://www.marilynmonroe.ca/camera/galleries/costumes/

      I could be wrong though.

      I am not sure I would love the dress as much if it wasn't a Travilla. Old school label whore here.

      My favorite design of his is a toss up between the pink "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend" dress and the same red dress that you love. I found a seamstress that makes the red dress. I am thinking I will have her make me one for next years VLV. As my date, I think you will be proud!

      I think you will just die next week on Fashion Friday.... That's all I'll say for now.

      Delete
    2. Oh I would be proud, but surely we would have MATCHING red dresses?? *nods enthusiastically* I would spend the entire time talking in character as Dorothy Shaw. She has the best lines.

      Delete