Friday, May 25, 2012

Fashion Friday - Bakelite

Happy Fashion Friday everyone!

This week I had a very hard time narrowing down my "purchases" to five items. Each item is one I would die to have in my jewelry collection. In general, I would love to add some Bakelite pieces to my collection but they can get a little pricey. Very quickly for those who don't know what Bakelite is; Bakelite is a phenolic resin - a distillate of coal tar and formaldehyde. Leo Baekeland discovered it when he was looking for a substitute for shellac - using money he made selling the patent for photographic paper to Eastman Kodak. It hit big in the 1920's and 1930's - a thermoset plastic (didn't change when heated). Carved pieces were usually done so by hand. Most of what we call Bakelite is actually Catalin - invented later in a wider variety of colors - still a phenolic resin.

The first item I stumbled upon this week is a Bakelite carved cherry necklace and brooch (demi parure on celluloid chain) priced at $1,225.00.






My second Bakelite item is an absolutely adorable Martha Sleeper Bakelite Zebra pin/brooch priced at $425.00. This little guy has an overdye with painted black body strips, eyes nose, and mouth. His ears are made of leather.




My next set is a trio of Bakelite Alligators priced at a painful $2,200.00.



The hinge bracelet has yellow glass eyes with a black dot in the centers and did you happen to notice just how lovely of a carving job someone did.







The round Bakelite pin alligator pin is funny to me. Look closely and you'll see he is biting his own tail. You'll also notice that he has the same glass eye as the hinge bracelet alligator.



The wood and Bakelite pin shows a little baby Alligator sitting on a pile of wood.





 
The next Bakelite item is a trio of high contrast gumdrop, dot, bowtie, and stripe bangles. They can be yours at a jaw dropping $5,999.99.









Now onto our last item on FF, a rare green giant carved leaves Bakelite bangle priced at $950.00.




I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. As for me, I have a Tiki party Friday night with friends. Saturday is a BIG day for me. I am starting my half sleeve and I'll also be hosting an all girls Casablanca party. Maybe I'll be less of a moron and remember a camera this time around though in all fairness it is an American holiday this weekend (think three day weekend).

Have a wonderful weekend wherever you are!

Baci tutti
HRF

7 comments:

  1. Ooh ooh, I love that leaves bracelet! Although the cherries take the cake, naturally. They are AMAZING. Very jealous re half sleeve :( Happy Fashion Friday & long weekend!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drool! That leaf bracelet is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had $950 this is definitely an item I would purchase (if only ha!) The same artist that made this was featured in the original Bakelite book.

      Delete
  3. There are no words for how awesome that alligator jewelry is!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that the one pin is biting his own tail.

      Delete
  4. That cherry necklace is, undeniably, sublime, but the price tag is unnervingly scary. Still, if a million dollar fell in my lap right now, I'd be more than a little tempted! :D

    Thank you very much for your awesomely sweet comment on my vintage outfit post this week, I really appreciate it, dear gal!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete