Sunday, June 17, 2012

WWII Ball

Saturday night was the 1940’s USO style show with Bob Hope, Frank Sinatra & The Andrews Sisters. It was a night of dancing to The Hot Tomatoes amongst WWII planes, flybys, military vehicles, and re-enactors.






There was a small 1940's car show, dance performances by The Diamond Dolls and Boulder Swing Dance, hula dancers, and aerial dancers. All in all it was a fantastic night. Be forewarned, this is an extremely picture heavy post.


My good friend Tre and I got ready at my house for the ball. I did both of our hair and makeup. I think hers turned out exceptional. After a long wait in line to park we made a quick stop by the car show before heading in for the festivities.

Tre with a lovely Packard

Me with the same Packard




Inside the gates there were two areas. One was full of airplanes, jeeps, and tents. Much akin to a WWII USO camp.


 
Tre with one of the planes

A wonderful photo taken of Tre and me by the talented Sheila Broderick.

The second area was Rick's American Cafe. It didn't remind me of the movie at all but that's alright as it was in a beautiful old hangar and the movie was playing on the big screen.






Tre and I had only been at the Ball for about thirty minutes when Frank Sinatra, the Anderson Sisters, and Bob Hope flew in and landed in the USO camp. They took old army jeeps up to the stage.


Frank Sinatra and the Anderson Sisters


Bob Hope walking through the crowd


As you have probably assumed, they took the stage. Bob Hope told jokes, Frank Sinatra and the Anderson Sisters had separate singing sets (all three were wonderful).



 
Tre and me - Frank on stage



Mitchell and me




During one of the Anderson Sisters songs, the ladies were joined on stage by some hula dancers.






After the hula dancers, there was a touching tribute to all the WWII veterans present. I teared up a little; their sacrifice was greater than any of us could ever fathom.

Tre, WWII Veteran, Lt. Col. (Ret) Joseph A. Kennedy, and me

 
It wasn't long though before those same veterans were on the dance floor. Let me be forthcoming that these people are in their high 80's or low 90's and they are still out dancing the 20 and 30 year olds. We were lucky enough to be asked to dance by some of the WWII veterans. Tre was first up to dance with this sailor.

 




 
Then he decided it was time to take me for a spin around the dance floor.








Then it was time for a few dances before we went to hunt down our friends.


Do you love the setting?



After a few dances we decided it was time to hang out with friends, have a few drinks, and maybe try some cigars.
Tyler and me


Amanda and me - Don't you just adore her style!


Tre and me... again


Ladies photo - missing a few ladies though




Oh a cigar. Yes I did have a bit.


Natalie and Mo.  I love that she looks like she just got finished working on an old airplane or in a factory.


Shortly after these photos were taken, there was an authenic vintage clothing contest. All three women selected were wearing reproduction dresses. There were at least 50 women in the crowd with real vintage on; what a complete disappointment.

After my disappointment, there was only on thing to do... okay two. 1 - stalk Frank Sinatra & 2 - dance.











Well my anger at the fraudulent contest would not cease. So Tre and I decided it would be a perfect time to refill our flask (we are classy like that) and have our photos with some planes at night.

While we were standing in line for photos with the plane, Tre says "Oh my god there he is!!". To which I respond "There who is?" She tells me Frank and points him out. I practically tackle him and promptly have my photo taken with him.
Swoon


My chance encounter with Mr. Sinatra revived my spirits for the remainder of the evening.

We also shortly thereafter reached the plane.



 
Short stop on the way out at the end of the evening at the 1940's moon and an interesting vehicle in the parking lot.








I had such a wonderful evening and am looking forward to the Tiki Ball in September.

How did you spend your weekend?

Baci Tutti
HRF



17 comments:

  1. it looks like such a wonderful night!! and you both look fabulous! i just love your dress and hat! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That hat was a lucky find. I had gone into a vintage store looking for some black lace dance gloves (which there were none) and came across the hat. Sweet fate!

      Delete
  2. Oh, it looks like so much fun! Your dress is gorgeous. I love the photos of you dancing with the war veterans. Way to tackle Ol' Blue Eyes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am such a softy for veterans. I was overjoyed when he asked me to dance.

      Ol' Blue Eyes was so handsome. Wow!

      Delete
  3. Great outfit, I especially love the hat! I keep buying all these fabulous hats and never wear them, must get them out more often. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am notorious for the same thing. I have 5 or 10 beautiful hats but never seem to wear them. This hat was a very last minute find and so I decided I had to wear it.

      Delete
  4. You girls look amazing! Seems like a fantastic night despite the vintage clothing contest disappointment. You won the dancefloor! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there was a lot of outcry about the contest. I noticed this morning they changed the name from "Authentic Vintage Clothing" to "Costume"... um hum.

      The dancefloor was hopping for sure that night!

      Delete
  5. Wow! This looked like so much fun! :D
    You looked amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was such a good time. I can't wait for the Tiki ball in September.

      Delete
  6. great vintagey shots!

    http://forallthatjas.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. It seems that a lot of fun =D
    I'm in love with your hat,is amazing!!!
    I also have a blog, so if you want to take a peek and want to follow my page, feel it is a pleasure.

    http://callmemisslilsusie.blogspot.pt/

    P.S.Sorry my bad English.

    With love
    Miss Lil'Susie <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eu posso prometer o meu português é pior do que o seu Inglês.

      Esse chapéu era uma descoberta de última hora em um brechó vintage na noite anterior Bola 1940. Fui à procura de luvas e saiu com um chapéu. Eu não poderia ajudá-la!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for follow my blog darling =D

      XOXO*
      MissLil'Susie ♥

      Delete