Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Miss Voodoo Island Pin Up Swimsuit Competitio​n

I'm sorry for my extended absence. I've been very busy recently but I hope to get back to my normal posting routine starting this week.

Approximately two weeks ago I entered my name and photos into Miss Voodoo Island Pin Up Swimsuit Competitio​n. The competition is being hosted by Khyentse James (1940's Ball organizer) and company. The submission URL and Facebook stated that they would narrow all the participants down to a top ten and those ladies will take the stage on September 1st.

Last week, I found out that my girlfriend Amanda and I both made it into the top ten! Let me say that she is legitimate competition. She is pretty, sweet, smart, and stylish. If I lose to her, I'll definitely consider it a fair defeat. However, the real truth of it is that I am terribly excited to have someone I adore so much on the stage with me. I get very nervous when I am in front of large groups of people and this group is well over 1,000. I am hoping that just having her near will help keep my nerves at bay.

The ever so stylish Amanda at the most recent 1940's ball

So what are the rules:
- Ladies must be dressed in era-appropriate (1940's and 1950's) pin-up swimsuit/beach attire (re-productions are acceptable however authentic vintage is preferred). 
- No nudity, flashing, pasties or lingerie.
- Each contestant will be asked to enter the stage, state their name/stage name, and answer a question. 
- The ten contestants which will be narrowed down to the top three for final judging.
- On site judging will be done by three very knowledgeable vintage enthusiasts as well as audience applause.

How we will be judged:
- Authenticity of Outfit
- Hair & Make-Up
- Poise & Personality
- Vintage Props and Accessories.


As much as I love my Rose Marie Reed swimsuit, it don't think it will stand out enjoy in a group of nine other gorgeous vintage swimsuits.

My elegant and simple Rose Marie Reed swimsuit


So I have purchased an absolutely dropdead gorgeous, over the top 1950's Deweese Designs swimsuit. I won't be posting any preview photos. I want to keep my whole outfit under wraps.  I do, however, want to give you an idea of what a 1950's Deweese Designs looks like and what Mary Ann Deweese was capable of creating. The swimsuit below is no longer available. It was already reserved when I purchased my swimsuit. If I had known that this beauty was out there, I would have purchased it just to have it.





Baci tutti!
HRF

10 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the pictures! That bathing suit is gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That suit is amazing. It would be mine if I had only looked a few days sooner.

      Delete
  2. How wonderfully exciting! That shimmery, gorgeous blue and gold suit is amazing, so I'm all the more eager to see your snaps. Best of luck, dear gal!!!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish the blue and gold suit was mine! The one I got is lovely as well but the lurex one looks like a movie star should be wearing it.

      Thank you for the luck! I will need it.

      Delete
  3. Wow the gold and blue suit is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I said when I saw it. My jaw actually dropped open.

      Delete
  4. Oh I love a bit of sparkle. The gold leaf embellishments are perfect! You're doing quite well with your online purchases lately...

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! that blue one is absolutely fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I wish, in vain of course, that I had only found it sooner.

      Delete