Friday, November 16, 2012

Fashion Friday - Snow

So, what excuse do I have for going missing for three weeks.... again? I have been really busy at work but the real reason is snowboarding. I love the snow and the mountains. I, to an extent, disappear in the winter. My frequency on the dance floor subsides, my vintage hairstyles and makeup don't hold up to my sweating in the freezing weather, and I actually wear modern clothing and the ever dreaded pants.



Any lady-like behavior is nonexistent


The longer I am up at the resorts, the more fashion faux pas I see (and more likely am a participant). I started to wonder what gals wore when they went skiing back in the 1940's and 1950's. Let's just say that they were a far more stylish, albeit colder, group of women; fashion and femininity were prevalent on the slopes.



Look at the skirt!


Love that sweater!


See, her hair is perfectly coiffed.


These ladies are so beautiful and probably freezing


I think she is better than me and she is riding terrible old wooden skis. This must be spring skiing with her shorts and t-shirt.


I love that these ladies moved their hats back so that you could see their perfectly shaped bangs.

So for fashion friday, you guessed it, we are going to try to build a cute vintage ski outfit!

Every gal that wants to keep warm is going to need a nice set of ski pants ($45.00) and a matching jacket ($95.00).


Vintage 1940's Vermont Made Navy Wool Ski Pants

1940s Ricky Jacket

If you have ever spent time in cold weather, then you know keeping your head and feet warm are imperative. As long as they are warm, your body seems to feel warmer. So I picked an over the top hat because it was one of the only hats I found that I thought, "now that would be warm". ($42.00)

1940's Plush Dyed Italian Lamb Hat

And to stay fashionable when we get to the ski lodge, I chose a beautiful sweater ($56.00) and a celluloid charm for a necklace or bracelet ($7.89). Both, of course, keeping in line with the skiing theme.


1950s Jersild Nordic Ski Sweater

1930's-1940's hand painted and made in occupied Japan



Do any of you ladies out there participate in winter sports? Snowshoe, cross country skiing, etc.

Baci Tutti!
HRF

6 comments:

  1. Ahaha... "participate in sports," that's a good one! I would certainly wear that fluffy hat, though. These photos remind me of old footage I once saw of women playing tennis in full length dresses with long sleeves, high necklines and small fashionable hats. So crazy.
    You know you have to doll up on the slopes and do a fashion shoot now, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I participate in the winter sport of staying in the house and baking! I'm getting really good at it, LOL>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! It has only been since moving to Denver that I learned (slowly) to like / tolerate the cold weather.

      Delete
  3. Love this seasonally splendid post! Though I don't (or more accurately, can't any longer due to my health) ski, I've been thinking a lot this winter about how much I'd love to have a vintage ski outfit just to wear out and about on snowy days or should I have to be doing my best lodge bunny impressions. Winter is not the best time to go hunting for the pieces to put such a look together (given how many others are likely to be doing the same), but I've started my search just the same and will continue on no matter how long it takes. Who knows, maybe come next winter I'll have a ski inspired vintage ensemble all my own.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it possible for you to snowshoe?

      I agree, I will have to look for some cute winter items this spring/summer!

      Delete