Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Dita Von Teese Perfume Review

Dita Von Teese, for me, embodies Old Hollywood style and glamour. She seems to accomplish both with class and ease.



I had been dying to try her perfume since it was released in Germany. So much so, that I had even looked into the cost of purchase and shipping so as to have it sent to Colorado. The cost was astronomical and so I had resigned myself to waiting until it came to the U.S.

For those of you who don't know, the perfume is finally available at Ron Robinson, which is where I ordered from. It arrived a few days before Thanksgiving.



The day my perfume arrived



Ms. Von Teese had described her perfume as:

"A signature perfume for women who desire a bit of glamour, elegance, mystery and sophistication in their lives. The scent opens with a head note composed of fresh peonies, fizzy bergamot, and slightly spicy Bourbon pepper. The heart of the perfume then entices you with a luscious and pure bouquet of Bulgarian rose, Tahitian Tiare petals, and fresh jasmine. And in the base note, the mystical and warm scents of patchouli, musk, and smoky Gaiac wood and sandalwood captivate the senses"
She goes on to say:

"I wanted to do something very sensual, sleek and simple that speaks of wanting to be a grown-up, sophisticated woman, who is in charge of her life. I just love the idea of something that is both very good, sophisticated and elegant, but also a little mysterious, dark and dangerous. Those two things together become something very special really magical. I wanted a perfume that feels like that."



So, now that I have received my DVT perfume and have started using it, what do I think?

I aesthetically love the black glass bottle, silk tassel, and atomizer. There is something very romantic about the bottle itself.

As for the scent, it is very strong in the bottle and when first sprayed. My girlfriend Amanda said it best, "it reminds me of an older rich lady in a good way". I would fully agree with her analysis based upon the strength of the smell coming from the bottle.

The real beauty about the perfume though is that after about twenty minutes the strength dissipates and you are left with exactly the scent I believe Dita was striving to achieve. It smells of musk, woody smoke, jasmine, and sandalwood. It is different, faint, and very sensual. I often catch myself closing my eyes and smelling my own wrist.

I think after it was all paid for, my 40 ounce bottle of DVT perfume cost me approximately $58.00; not terribly cheap and not terribly expensive. The dissipated smell reminds me of much more expensive bottles of perfume that I smelled in Paris many years ago.

For me, this perfume is worth the money both aesthetically and olfactory.

Baci Tutti!
HRF

18 comments:

  1. Hello Hrf! I was really looking forward to reading a good review like yours.
    I think I'll love it, so it's going to be a Xmas gift ^^

    Love,
    Lorena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad! I really like the smell. I hope you do too!

      Delete
  2. Great review! I will have to try this out next time I'm at the perfume counter (assuming it makes it to Australia!) I was a bit disappointed with her lingerie range so this might make up for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, tell me about the lingerie range. It just made it to ASOS in the US a few weeks ago. I was going to get a set but that may very well depend on what you say now.

      I think you'll love the perfume but do me a favor. Spray just a little on your wrist... don't smell it immediately. Wait 20 - 30 minutes and then smell it. It was much, much too strong of a scent for me in the bottle and when immediately sprayed.

      Delete
    2. its starting to pop up in Trade Me here in New Zealand so will hopefully make it across xx

      Delete
    3. I bought a pair of the leopard print undies and they literally tore to pieces the first time I washed them. Also, the only plus size cups in the bras are on plus size back sizes, so there are no large cups for small girls or vice versa. The bras may be better quality but I'm not able to wear any of them to find out! Just not as diverse a range as I'd hoped for.
      I'll be sure to test the perfume properly! :)

      Delete
  3. I adore it too, unfortunatly I placed it in my travel case with the atomiser on and forgot to replace the original cap resulting in a very sexy smelling case ( the seal is not as strong between the two )The moisturiser is great too, goes a long way and just as stong as the perfume.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! Thanks for letting me know. I was going to travel to VLV16 with it and I had thrown out the original cap.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the review, I've been wanting to buy it for a while now. I'm a huge Dita fan, I still have two tubes of her lipstick and it lasts all day, she makes very nice things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was some how unaware that she made lipstick! Where have I been?

      Delete
  5. I hope it makes it to department stores and then I can try it. I'd much rather sample Dita's spray than Taylor Swift:) Or, for that matter, what does Justin Bieber truly know about perfume? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it may make it to some high end department stores.

      Justin Bieber is a beautiful lady (ha)!

      Delete
  6. Great review - and what a beautiful bottle! It looks and sounds very luxurious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I leave the bottle out on my vanity because I think it is so lovely.

      Delete
  7. Yes, she is absolutely gorgeous! Divine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait for this to arrive in Australia, I am already completely seduced by the packaging! I keep imagining it to smell like Chanel No5 for some reason, I guess that's just because I associate Chanel No5 with old wasps :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a little reminiscent of Channel No 5. It has that classic smell to it.

      Delete