Friday, December 07, 2012

Fashion Friday - Couture Allure

Many moons ago, I came across Couture Allure. Like any vintage website, there was a plethora of beautiful dresses; however, there was one on Couture Allure that left an impression on me. It was a 1950’s Maxwell Shieff emerald silk petal dress.

 

 

 

 
It is described as
"Maxwell Shieff was a Hollywood dress designer who counted among his clients such stars as Ginger Rogers, Zsa Zsa Gabor, and Rhonda Flemming.  He designed all the clothes for Gracie Allen for the "Burns and Allen" show. His evening dresses are extremely rare today and this one is a beauty!  Dating to the 1950s, I was told this dress was made for Elizabeth Connors, first wife of actor Chuck Connors. This dress was clearly inspired by the 1953 Jean Desses evening gown pictured here.

 

1953 Jean Desses Evening Gown

It is fashioned of vivid emerald green silk satin.  The bodice has double spaghetti straps and is adorned with hand stitched beaded petals.  The full, full skirt is made of layers of green petals that are beaded by hand with green bugle beads.  The petals sit atop 3 layers of green tulle, the top one of which is crystal pleated.  The dress is lined in green silk taffeta and each petal is individually lined with the same taffeta.  The bodice is fully boned for support.  The dress closes with a center back metal zipper and the petals close over it with snaps at the back.”
 
This is the dress started my love affair with Couture Allure. So today for Fashion Friday, I am going shopping at Couture Allure.

 
My first choice is this gorgeous black rayon crepe and beaded film noir dress. The neckline is really striking.

 




 

 

 
My next choice would be this 1930's stunner. I do wish I was wearing this on stage tonight at the 1940's Christmas Ball. What a presence I would have had.

 

 

 

 

My next choice would also look amazing up on stage, a 1940's peplum dress with sequin heart. If I had seen this before I purchased my novelty print peplum dress... Let's just say that I believe I would have purchased this one instead. Maybe I can justify buying it as a Christmas gift to myself?

 

 

 

 
The next dress, a 1950's Razooks black silk beaded cocktail dress, I am betting weighs a ton and would look magically on the dance floor with all the lights reflecting off of it.

 

 

 

 
The last dress will probably not going to be the most loved but I love early 1960's dresses and this one is no exception. This 1960's Malcolm Starr beaded cocktail dress is to die for as far as I am concerned.

 

 

 

 

 
What would you purchase from Couture Allure if you had the money?

 
Baci Tutti!
HRF

8 comments:

  1. That green dress is absolutely stunning - so unique too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had personally never seen anything like it. Oh how I wish I was tiny enough to have fit into it.

      Delete
  2. I think I'd have to go with your first choice too:) I love the angled neck on that dress and the beading! They once had this Mr. Mort dress on there that I would have bought in a heart beat had it not been bought in half a heart beat:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was it this one? http://www.coutureallure.com/collections/frontpage/products/vintage-50s-full-skirt-dress-black-silk-sequins-small-bust-35

      Or this one?
      http://www.coutureallure.com/collections/frontpage/products/vintage-50s-ball-gown-party-dress-beaded-tulle-small-bust-34

      I love the second one.

      Delete
  3. Sigh. I would go for that 30's starlet. It might even fit me! Or THIS if it wasn't already sold.

    http://www.coutureallure.com/products/vintage-40s-coat-purple-wool-white-fox-fur-large-bust-42

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That coat is SO your style! That really is a travesty that you are not the owner.

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for featuring Couture Allure on your blog! I love all your choices too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course. Your shop is so lovely I just had to share.

      Delete