Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Refilling a Vintage Compact

If you are like me, you probably have at least one vintage compact and that compact does not fit the modern/standard compact refill. Mine has a very odd setting (see below) and I could not find a premade refill that would fit. What is a girl to do? Make her own refill of course!


My beautiful "American Beauty" art deco compact


Ohhhh hi!


At one time, this was a loose powder compact but the cover holder is now missing


What your finished producted should look similar to,
though I didn't imprint mine and I wish I had in retrospect



Honestly, I didn't even think to do a tutorial on how to refill a vintage compact while I was doing it. So what did I refill my own compact with? MAC Prep & Prime and pink loose powder.

My favorite powder

Here is the final color and intensity


So, what will you need to press your own compact or broken makeup beside your vessel and makeup?







For this tutorial, I'll be resetting some eyeshadow that fell out a few weeks ago.
 






Make sure you stir and stir this until it is smooth!!

You will most likely over pour the alcohol at some point. This is an easy fix. Either use your Q-Tips or a cotton ball
to absorb the excess alcohol or add a little extra powder/makeup.

 
So  now what do you do? Just wait. You need to let the alcohol evaporate completely. During that time you can even make a design in your newly seated makeup. Some ideas would be using a paper towel, use the bobby pin to write or design in the damp makeup, or even use a rubber stamp! Next time, I am going to use my dragonfly stamp in the middle. As for drying time, you'll know that the makeup is finished drying when it no longer smells like alcohol (approximately 24 hours).
 
Have you ever used this method to repair or refill your makeup? I hope you give it a try because not only is it super easy but you'll finally get to use that beautiful compact.
 
 
 _________________________________________________________________________________
 
 
While we are talking about makeup, you should head over to Technicolor Cutie's blog. First and foremost, she is fantastic and ever so fashionable. I love her post and I am beyond envious of her wardrobe. Second, she is doing an amazing Besame giveaway this week and any vintage loving girl needs a little more Besame in her life!

Baci Tutti!
HRF

6 comments:

  1. Great tutorial and very useful - I always seem to end up with broken blusher powder, which in turn ends up leaking into my make-up bag, leading everything to turn pink! I will have to try this! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works great on blusher! Let me know if you are successful.

      Delete
  2. Great advice - I always thought compacts were past their usefulness once the powder was gone. I love your beautiful & unusual compact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marvelous tips, thank you very much for this handy step-by-step howto. I love the "American Beauty" powder applicator in your compact, that font is so timelessly lovely.


    Happiest Christmas countdown, dear gal,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fantastic little compact. It even came with its original box and knitted compact bag!

      Delete