Friday, January 11, 2013

Fashion Friday - Viva Las Vegas 16 Dress

For many years, I have been absolutely enamored with a particular photograph of Elizabeth Taylor. It wasn't just about her innate glamour, which was plentiful, it was the way she took an understated dress and make it an absolutely stunning item. The dress is a simple, high neck 1950's blue polka dot dress.

The photograph


I finally decided I could no longer longingly look at this photograph and do nothing about it. Thus, I used VLV 16 as an excuse to have this dress made for me. I have again enlisted the ever so fabulous Esther at Morningstar 84 to make my dress dreams come true.  Last year she made this beauty for me for VLV 15.

Oh how I love the petal bust and tie straps.

It also has a bolero that I am not wearing.


So now that I have purchased the power of Esther, what items am I hoping to match with this dress.

I actually need a belt and this is by far my favorite! I like the thickness and pattern... and of course the color.



My next two items are both shoes. I want both but can't afford both so it will probably come down to budget. If the budget is super tight, I'll be wearing white wedges which will look lovely as well.

Penny Loves Kenny Falken Flats

ReMix Eva Pumps



As for jewelry, I would love to have this signed Weiss clamper bracelet and earring set but given the price, that will never happen.











Instead, I will likely go with one of these two options.


Love the metal and "stone" look


Blue lucite and rhinestone

No matter what accessories I end up with, this dress is going to be unique and a dream come true for me.

Baci Tutti!
HRF

20 comments:

  1. Ohh, I can't wait to see your outfit. A polka dot chiffon dress is on my dream list! Your dress is going to be fantastic. Luck you for getting to go to Vegas! I love the deco bracelet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am over the moon about this dress. Too boot, my favorite color is blue <3

      You'd better make it out to VLV one year.

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to see the outcome!!! Hopefully I will get to see you in person in Vegas! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty sure we should make it a point to meet at VLV!

      Delete
  3. That dress looks lovely. Great choice on your accessories too. I'm hpoing to convince my husband to takes us to VLV this year for our 2 year anniversary. Here's hoping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so much fun! I really hope that you get to make it!

      Delete
  4. How exciting! Her work is amazing. Hopefully I'll get to see the finished product at Viva. Less than 3 months to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do get to see it at VLV! I can't beleive we are already at less than three months.

      Delete
  5. AMAZING PHOTOS!!!LOVING THE EVAN PUMPS AND THE HAIRDO...!!!:)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really hope I can get those heels, they are so lovely.

      Delete
  6. What a dress!!! You are lucky to have found the perfect seamstress... I have looked for a good one for age but never found her... so Santa brought me a sewing machine for Xmas, I must learn now!!!

    I will also be in Viva in March and I was also there last year... I'm so excited!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really is a fantastic seamstress. If you ever need anything made, I'd recommend her.

      Hope to meet you at VLV!

      Delete
  7. I have the bakelite rhinestone earrings in white. They are Weiss I think. I ALMOST bought the clamp bracelet, but it was 150.00! Damn you Bakelite, I am your Mistress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so awesomely exciting that you're going to (and also that you've been before) VLV, and every bit as cool as well that you've commissioned a custom dress for this awesome event. I really like that timeless dotted frock, too, and am sure your version is going to look every bit as gorgeous on you as that one did on Liz.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so incredibly sweet of you Jessica. I hope to look an iota as beautiful as Liz. =)

      Delete
  9. Hi there,
    I just discovered your blog via the "Art Deco Dame" and I'm so happy to have found another great blog to follow!! I just love it :-)
    I can't wait to see how your Liz-inspired dress turns out...I'll know it if I see you at VLV!

    ~Dina
    www.VintageAdvantage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhh! i'm really looking forward to seeing your Liz inspired dress *_*
    my mum had a similar one, when she was young but it was a black-white polka dot.
    I'm sure it will match with your blue eyes, you'll be a 'Cat on a hot tin roof' too :)

    Love,
    Lorena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorena you are so sweet =). What a great movie too! I love Paul Newman in that movie. So handsome!

      Delete