Thursday, January 03, 2013

New Year's Resolution No. 1

One of my New Year's 2013 resolutions is to get back into shape. I am by no means "fat", but I am unhappy with the way that I look and the way that I feel. For those reasons, I signed up for five months of ballet classes through the Colorado Ballet; my first class will be Tuesday, January 8th.

It should be noted that this will not be my only fitness endeavor. I will talk about them as I am accomplishing them. Now back to ballet...


The Colorado Ballet Company


I am quite fortunate on two fronts. The first is that Colorado has a ballet company and that ballet company teaches classes to beginning adults. The second is that two of my dear friends have signed up for class with me. So not only do I get to become more flexible and hopefully get into better shape, but I get to do so with two friends (read - motivation).


I have purchased my ballet shoes; a love pair of peach Sansha canvas ballet shoes. My girlfriends were lucky enough to locate black ballet shoes and I am terribly envious.


Mine do come with the cute little carry bag!



My intention is to stick with ballet long term for the agility, balance, poise, and grace. I am not expecting ballet to be easy for me. Frankly, I anticipate that it will be difficult and an uphill struggle for me to become even moderately good. Rarely does anything worth doing come easy though.

Ultimately, I do hope one day to be en pointe though like the ladies of yore and these modern dancers below.







These shoes alone are a reason to strive for pointe



Wish me luck in my upcoming endeavor!


Baci Tutti!
HRF

15 comments:

  1. Good Luck! I'm sure you will be very successful:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, those red shoes! Too bad you couldn't score a black pair as well. good luck with this, it does indeed sound fun and challenging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know those shoes are to die for!!

      I'll at least be unique in my peach shoes I suppose =)

      Delete
  3. I wish you the utmost of luck!!! I wish my health would allow me to follow your lead, but alas, that's absolutely not possible any more. I've always adored ballet, though never got a chance to try it when I could (jazz, swing, and tap, yes, but alas, no ballet). It's a demanding sport, but a truly beautiful one, too, and I suspect that you'll do marvelously at it, dear gal.

    ♥ Jessica

    *PS*

    Thank you very much for your thoughtful comment on my post about hair loss today. I'm sorry to hear that it's a situation you can relate to first hand, too. People generally equate hair loss with men, but there are a fair number of us ladies who have to contend with it, too, and though it's not a fun situation at all, it really helps to know that there are others in the same boot and that we can try and support each other. I'm a million miles away from a wig expert at this stage, but am here to help if you ever venture down the wig path in any way that I can.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jessica, you are always so kind and thoughful.

      My girlfriends and I were talking about possibly doing a tap class next!

      Delete
  4. Oooh! I'm excited to follow your progress with the ballet - I hope you will keep us updated! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely will... as soon as I can do something interesting ;)

      Delete
  5. How fun! Dance classes is one of my resolutions too. I don't think I'm graceful or disciplined enough for ballet but I'm taking baby steps. Good luck in your endeavor!
    Mandy
    Nestled in Nostalgia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so Glad to hear of someone else with the same idea! For the same reasoning, I'll be starting up Tap Classes. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to try tap classes but there were no available at times I could attend. You'll have to tell me how you do!

      Delete
  7. Good luck, I'm sure you will have fun! I took Ballet for 5 years when I was younger- and never in my Ballet history did I see toe shoes as awesome as those red ones...hot damn- they would be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those red shoes really are a great reason to keep dancing!

      Five years of ballet is a good chunk of time. I bet you would fall right back into it.

      Delete