Friday, February 08, 2013

21 Vintage Lifestyle Questions & Answers

Jessica at Chronically Vintage played a little game of vintage tag this week. I loved reading her answers so much that I thought I would participate.







1. Who are your style icons?

Wow, style icons. I mean can anyone point at the Haus of Dior around the 1950’s and claim that it is not a source of inspiration?  Everything Dior were producing back then was absolutely stunning. Try googling 1950's Dior; the timelessness and glamour of the styles will blow your mind.

YSL designs for Dior in the 1950's
 


I suppose my other big style icons would have to be Elizabeth Taylor and Sophia Loren. I probably like them because I subconsciously think they are exotic and that because they are busty that I can identify more with their style.



 


2. What is your favorite way to get inspired?
 
I am often inspired by pictures and blogs of others as well as current day runway. A lot of the recent couture lines have had some serious vintage inspiration.

Dior 2012

 
3. What's your most-used hair tool? 
 
My most used hair tool, beside my hair brush, would have to be my ceramic curlers from Conair.

 
I wash my hair every two to three days and I must sleep terribly because each morning I look much more like this than a lady.

 
Those curlers have me looking prime and proper in a matter of fifteen minutes.
 

 
4. What's your favorite hair tool?
 
My favorite hair tool that I don't use very often is my standing hair dryer.



My favorite hair tool that I use pretty frequently would be my pin curler. It's a huge help in getting all my victory rolls the same shape and similar size; ditto on my actually pin curls.


Purchased at Sally's for about $2.00


5. Updo, down, or half-and-half?

For me, updo is first, half and half is second, and down is last. I figit with my hair all the time so getting it away from my face helps me stop. 






6. Is vintage something you do every day, on weekends, or for special occasions?

I try to dress in my vintage beauties as often as possible. My work place is not an appropriate place for many of my vintage outfits and so I'm more of a correct occasion wearer I suppose.


7. What's your favorite blush and lipstick?

I am currently using a MAC shade for my blush and it is okay... definitely not in love with it. My favorite blush of recent memory has to be the Physician Formula Powder Palette Multi-Colored Blush. The colors work great on my pale skin and the bonus is that you can use each of the different little colors for eye shadow (and in a pinch you can add a little to your lip gloss and BAM! tinted lip gloss).



As for lipstick, I'm like almost every other vintage loving girl, MAC's Russian Red is my staple.






8. Dress, skirt, or pants? Heels or flats?
 
I absolutely hate the way most pants fit and so my default is a dress. Plus a dress is just so easy.
 
Heels or flats... well that depends on the outfit. Though, if you were to look at my shoe collection, you would come to the instant conclusion that heels were my preference.

 
9. Off-the-rack or homemade?
 
If off-the-rack is means to be store bought and homemade is to imply that I made it, then obviously with my near-the-existent sewing skills I'll have to go with off-the-rack.


10. Do you swing dance?
 
You bet your bottom dollar I do! I absolutely love it and will always strive to be get better at it. It's a great way to meet new friends, stay in shape, a cheap date, and the list could go on and on.




11. Extreme vintage or subtle touches?
 
Extreme vintage when I have the time (like weekends or special events) and subtle touches the rest of the time.

Weekend dance


Weekday work with some vintage touches


12. Favorite perfume?

I truly do not have one. Though after listening to Jessica's description of Dior's Hypnotic Poison... I think I'll have to try that one. Maybe that can be my favorite in the future? My current scent is DVT and it is beautiful and romantic but I don't think it is my scent.





13. Favorite skincare product?

This is going to sound a little weird but I swear by... coconut oil. It's a makeup remover and moisturizer plus it smells great, is completely natural, cheap, and it can also be used for cooking (ha!).

I had actually read an interview with one of the Victoria's Secret models from Brazil. She had disclosed that her hair and skin regiment secret was coconut oil. I decided to give it a try since I had some in the kitchen cabinet and, for me, it has been amazing. I use it to remove my makeup at night, as a lotion for my hands, and as a deep conditioner on my hair ends.
 



14. What does your family think of your style?

My mom thinks I am normally overdressed but does seem to think my style is interesting. She checks out my blog... Hi mom!! She came to the 1940's Christmas Ball to cheer me on and generally does ask about my wardrobe. I'd say she is probably the most interested and supportive in my family.
 
My step-dad thinks I need a television series but that has more to do with my overall personality, activities, and not just my style choices... though I am sure they attribute.


My dad seems loves my style. He sends me pictures of his side of the family from the 1950's and before.



My brother thinks I am weird but I am pretty sure that is his job.

My grandmother and great grandmother have both attributed to my overall style. I have vintage items from both and they are some of my more cherished items (i.e. my grandmother's wedding suit and my great grandmother's blue coat).


15. Favorite accessory?
 
Current favorite accessory is going to be my unique mink scarf. Sorry mom, I know it freaks you out.




Furs were a sign of wealth, glamour, and elegance from a bygone era. I don't wear it often but I do love it.

 
16. Do you find the vintage community welcoming or snobby?
 
Every community has it's snobs and the vintage community is no different. I'd like to say that I am never snobby but I definitely have had my moments... why lie?

17. What drew you to vintage style?
 
There were many variables that drew me to vintage initially  The glamorous women of yore, the fit of the clothing, the uniqueness of each vintage piece. I suppose though that it all started when I purchased  a  reproduction dress a few years ago from Pinup Girl Clothing. The dress that started it all for me was the rose print Birdie dress.


I loved the way it fit my body and that it made me look like my bust was even bigger, my waist smaller, and almost like I had a behind.

Today, my wardrobe has grown to the point that it may be time to really determine what looks good and give away or sell the rest.

 
18. Favorite places to shop vintage?

Etsy, Ebay, and locally. As for Denver locations it's going to be Regal Vintage, Boss, and Night & Day Vintage (the later being my current favorite). I also love to go to the thrift stores and antique stores; you never know what treasures you will find


19. What vintage eras are your favorite?
 
I hate this question because I love everything from the early 1930's through the early 1960's. I am also not above the 1970's throwbacks to the 1940's and some of the 1990's vintage inspired clothes.
 
If I had to choose, it is going to be either 1939 or 1954 runway (see first pictures from the 1954 Dior years). 

Vivien Leigh, Clark Gable, and Co. for the 1939 world premiere of "Gone With The Wind"
in Atlanta Georgia. Look at those outfits.
Ava  Gardner  - The Barefoot Contessa - 1954


Grace Kelly - Dial M for Murder - 1954



20. Most glamorous film stars?
 
My all time favorite film star is Gene Kelly hands down. I think is his divine in every facet of the word. Tell me another man that could make a sweatshirt look glamorous.


As for the most glamorous lady, for me it is Lauren Bacall. The voice probably has a lot to do with that decision. There is some so sexy, smoldering, and appealing about her though that cannot be ignored.




21. Favorite vintage object that you own?
 
My great grandmother's blue coat. The picture below isn't her coat, rather my coat now, but is it's twin as far as I can tell. 



Shew, that's enough about me. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

Baci Tutti!
HRF

16 comments:

  1. Oh, I will definitely have to do this now. Love reading all of your answers. :-)

    The Fictionista
    {sean-mackenzie.blogspot.com}

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm intrigued by the coconut oil. Where do you buy it? In the supermarket? I love the smell of coconut. I also love Gene Kelly ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey C!

      I get mine from Whole Foods but any organic grocery store will work. You want to make sure that the oil is not processed.

      Gene Kelly is pretty much perfect.

      Delete
  3. So glad you did this survey. So, fun to hear some more about you and to see some pictures of your adventures intertwined. What a thrill to have a coat from your great grandmother! This is so fabulous that you can swing dance, I love that picture. I can see how much fun you are having! You know I love coconut oil but haven't tried it for makeup removal. What a great idea! They say that coconut swirling (or pulling) has a lot of health benefits. I do think coconut oil helps with oral health and gums. I'm also with you on the late 30's. I love this period and also the period just after the war years. Great post. I enjoyed hearing more about you:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear by the coconut oil! It just melts makeup off your face. I don't have to scrub or put on any extra on after the little dime sized amount.

      I am so very lucky to have my great grandmothers coat. It is truly a beautiful piece.

      Delete
  4. Your blog is a lot of fun to read! I love this post--it's a great summation of you as a blogger. I've nominated your for the Liebster Award because I think your blog deserves it!

    Jordan
    http://jordansvintagekitchen.blogspot.com/2013/02/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jordan. I am honored. I'll do a post today or tomorrow.

      Delete
  5. Gene Kelly 100%!!! I fell in love with him when I was a kid obsessed with Xanadu! He is hands down my favorite. Also, have you ever read Lauren Bacall's autobiography 'By Myself'??? It will make you cry. Its one of my favorite book. She's amazing!

    I may do this vintage tag as well if I find the time. I'm working 6 days a week until Vegas so I am pooped!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am starting to read it now! Thanks for the recommendation. I didn't know that she had written a book.

      That is terrible that you are working so much right before VLV! I suppose it will help with saving money though.

      Delete
  6. Fantastic answers, honey! I'm super happy to learn more about you and to know that you were inspired to do this fun Q&A after seeing my post. We share much in common, sweet dear!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing when I was reading some of your answers!

      Delete
  7. Love this post, and I wear Dita's perfume too !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the post! What a lot of work, especially with the big event this weekend!!!!

    I love the way you polish your pieces and do your research. And your eyecandy, non-obvious photos! LOVE!

    Anyhow, inside Hollywood gossip; (first hand, not via magazines or books)- Lauren BaCall is/was a complete bitch. Not to rain on your parade. But I find that if I discover a star was an ***hole, I cease to like them anymore. Actually, I cease to admire anybody when I find out they are an ***hole. But I'm only chit-chatting not disputing you.

    Lauren's early pics are so iconic and have that film noir feel without getting "Dame Gone Wrong"- that's a tricky and clever little image she created. Assuming you know her acting persona was consciously modeled on style icon, Babe Paley? She even lowered her voice to accomplish that. Later on, smoking helped- eek.

    Your fan,
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic answers, Wendi! I'm sure other ladies who love vintage fashion will check those Dior clothes also. I love to watch vintage-inspired fashion shows and saw many interesting designs. I wish I had the guts to wear them outside the house. Hehe! I wonder if you also shared the vintage furniture that you had in your home. Did you post something about them? :)

    BuyingValuables.com

    ReplyDelete