Monday, February 25, 2013

Fight For Air Climb

I have been asked many times over the past year why I tend to disappear for periods of time. During that time, I am typically doing something that I don't feel readers would be that interested in. I typically don't read blogs that are word heavy or of serious content because I read them to "get away". So, what has caused me to disappear for the last week or so outside of being swamped at work (and possibly planning for VLV 16)?

I have previously stated that my dream job would be doing anything that made a positive difference in someone's life. I am also of the mindset that if you are able bodied, that you should use your body to help others. There are hundreds of races and events where you can support individuals that are not as physically lucky as you (you are luckier than you know). Most  of these events require little of you other than your time and a little commitment. 

This last Sunday, my colleagues and I participated in The Fight for Air Climb. The goal is for each participant to walk up 1,098 stairs (56 story building) and raise money for the American Lung Association in doing so. Thus, I drove myself through a snowstorm into downtown Denver to ascend the Republic Plaza stairs with my team (to be fair it was still only 19 blocks).

I completed the 741 foot ascent in 19:43. Although not impressive by most standards, I didn't train at all for this climb and was satisfied to just finish. I also did this event in memory of my late Uncle Dick who died last year of lung cancer.


Me second from the right. The white out behind us is the aforementioned snowstorm.
The view from 53 stories up

Do you participate in activities that help others? Do you do things in your spare time that you think would be uninteresting or unappealing to those that read your blog?

Baci Tutti!
HRF

4 comments:

  1. Wow, kudos to you!! So nice to hear you do this great events for others. So, were you able to move the day after? I bet it took many days to recover:) I remember when the power went out in NYC during the black out. I think it was 2003. Anyways, I was working in the cliche tall NYC building. I think it was something like 40 flights of stairs and it was the easy way down (not up). I remember my legs feeling like jello on this.
    I haven't done a marathon or climbed stairs but I like to help out students when I can. I feel like this is the path to opportunity for those who don't have much. I still believe strongly there is a world of opportunity in the USA and we should be so blessed to live here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think if you write about things that are meaningful to you, your readers will find them interesting. Its not the same as sharing small mundane details of your every day life or routine.
    Saying that, if you have a theme or topics you prefer to keep your blog on, do that too! Personally I like reading anything you have to say, especially on Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for participating in this good cause. I tend to share my charity work with my blog readers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done you! What a great achievement (and great pre-Viva exercise!) :)

    ReplyDelete