Friday, May 17, 2013

1940's Ball - Style Inspiration Preparation

The 1940's Ball is less than a month away and it is time for me to start planning. Denver has so few formal vintage events that I feel like I should pull out all the stops like I would for VLV.

This year I want to change it up and not wear a dress, so I'll be wearing my Whirling Turban polka-dot pant and top set I purchased at VLV 16.

Now for my style inspiration... it's going to be Carmen Miranda!


1945 VJ Day







I  love her Tutti-Frutti turbans and accessories but I really love her style when she is doing something a little different. I love her over-the-top style. It is right up my alley.



This turban with butterflies could possibly be my favorite look of hers.




Super colorful but no fruit in sight


Classic and yet different. I love the hairstyle and that fringe bottom dress.



I think that doing a literal translation of Carmen Miranda's style doesn't do her justice. I have yet to see anyone doing it better than she did.


So, how am I going to style myself?


Currently, I am leaning toward either a turban style or one of these hairstyles.


I love the stars/starfish in her hair in this photo.

I am not sure I have anything quite as beautiful as the item she is wearing in her hair but
the style is definitely achievable 

This is the style I am most likely to go with. just add hair accessories As a side note, can I please have all of those shoes?

Speaking of shoes... I will be wearing white wedges a la Carmen Miranda of course. I am brainstorming ways to making them looking more interesting. Do you have any recommendations? I am wearing them below. I am thinking maybe embroidery or sequins?





As for accessories, lots and lots of accessories. That rule Coco Chanel had about taking one item off before you leave the house, that will not be followed. What accessories? I'm still on the lookout but I am thinking a lot of red and gold but we'll see.


________________________________________________________________________________



Don't forget to enter the 1920's Besame Giveaway!




20 comments:

  1. Gotta have fruit somewhere:)) This is going to be fun to see how you pull off this outfit and don't forget some big hoop earrings:) I don't think you could have too many accessories thinking of Carmen. So much fun! I wish I could go:)) . You could even get yourself a pair of vintage maracas. She was ahead of her time with her platform shoes. Great idea, looking forward to seeing it all happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking hoops but also fruit baskets! Have you seen fruit basket earrings? If not, check them out on Etsy.

      I hope you can attend next year. Think of it as mom's long weekend away.

      Delete
  2. Good luck pulling this outfit together, I think Carmen is a great idea and you can have a lot of fun with it! P x

    ReplyDelete
  3. cant wait to see your final outfit! and I love, love LOVE the hairstyle with stars clipped in!! so pretty!!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, how glorious is that hairstyle! I found a very small picture of it when I first started searching but it took a few more hours to find a large version. Worth the effort I have to say!

      Delete
  4. You could add some artificial fruits or flowers to the shoes if you wanted to give an extra little nod to Carmen Miranda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE your idea. I was thinking about something like that as well but am just a little unsure how I will get them to stay attached...

      Delete
  5. You're going to look FABULOUS!!! I can't wait ti see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait until next year when you and Honey get to attend... so there!

      Delete
  6. How fun! I would use fun ans bright brooches on the shoes! Then you don't have to worry about loosing them an you can choose from an array of motifs!

    XO,

    Simona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like that idea because I can always change them out!

      Delete
  7. Are there really any rules to follow here? Seems like you could do anything you wanted as long as it's completely over the top! A hair turban does sound intriguing, and you wouldn't have to worry about it falling off your head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say the only rule to follow is go big! Ha!

      I love, love, love her purple turban. I would love to recreate it but maybe another time.

      Delete
  8. Oh YES! I cannot wait to see the photos from this event! I love the way you are going with your styling - just make sure however your hair is worn, it is solid, so that it doesn't get knocked by any lazy-armed jivers! :P Shoe-wise, I would clip some plastic fruits and flowers onto them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of using the Paul Mitchell gel which is more like a glue. Have you ever tried it? Lazy jivers and it is outside so we've got to worry about the wind!

      I have been looking for small plastic fruits... no luck so far =(

      Delete
    2. Have you tried Michael's? I always read about people buying plastic fruit to craft with from there:

      http://www.michaels.com/Garden-Fresh%E2%84%A2-Fruit/products-floral-ashlandgardenfreshfruit,default,sc.html

      I haven't tried the Paul Mitchell gel, but I am a huge fan of Tresemme Freeze Hold hairspray!

      Delete
  9. You have a VINTAGE BALL?! OH my word!!! I'm swooning. Best thing ever.
    I love the Carmen idea! You'll look amazing! And maybe with the shoes you could add rhinestones in lots of colors, or a pattern if you want, then add some ribbon and a giant bow that you can tie up your leg like she has on hers in the shoe photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do! It really is magnificent.

      It's funny you say rhinestones Emileigh... it's funny you say that (wink). I do love the additional idea of the tie up the leg. That's one I haven't though of yet.

      Delete
  10. Such an awesome choice of sartorial inspirations! Each and every time I see that picture of Carmen posing with her mountain of shoes, I swear I can feel my knees trembling. Couldn't you just imagine how fun it must have been to get dressed each day with that kind of shoe wardrobe at your beck and call?

    Huge hugs & so very many thanks for all of your fantastic blog comments today, dear Wendi!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete