Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Unexpected Turns in Life

Ah the ebb and flow of life. These last few weeks during my absence there have been so many changes. Some good, some very sad.

So what have I been up to recently? If you follow me on Instagram you probably already know far too well what I am doing when I go MIA from HRF.

I went rollerskating for the first time since... honestly it's been so long I can't give you an answer but I am pretty sure I was holding my dad's hand for stability. What I can say is that I had a blast and managed not to fall, which I will amount to a complete and utter success!

A blurry celebration!

The primary reason for my absence has been that my brother decided to move to Virginia and I wanted to spend every moment I could with him before he departed. We hadn't lived in the same place since I was 17 years old, until he moved to Colorado five years ago. As is typical, I took his presences for granted and just assumed he would always be right down the street. I was heartbroken when I learned he was moving and angry with myself that I had not spent more time with him while he was my neighbor.

Part of our time spent together involved going to see Marilyn Manson and Alice Cooper with our mom at Red Rocks Amphitheater. An experience that I will not forget anytime soon!



I also wanted to spend some quality time with friends and do a little dancing. So I finally hit up Soul Night. I wore a beautiful blue hair flower and beyond gorgeous West German butterfly brooch sent to me from Joanna at Dividing Vintage Moments. I also carried my newly arrived and equally gorgeous purse from Mr. Tiny of Wacky Tacky!

Source



I have also been preparing for the 1940's Ball this Saturday. I sadly had to change my outfit last minute because it is supposed to be in the high 80's or low 90's (that's about 32 centigrade for my international readers). I couldn't go out in pants and a long sleeve shirt. I would melt! What's a girl to do other than revising her outfit? I was already in the middle of making items for my Carmen Miranda outfit and so I will wear as many of those elements as I possibly can.

The butterflies have approximately 40 Swarvoski crystals each.  The hair flowers were going to be my "turban" base.

These shoes have seen better days but by the time I am done they will look better than new. I found a pair of 1940's
white wedges with beading, crystals, and other adornments that I loved but wouldn't pay $400.00 for them. Instead
I have started to add Swarvoski crystals to make them look similar to the vintage set.

Small preview of my beautiful hand painted vintage blouse. I love whoever created this beauty!

__________________________________________________________________________


As a last note, I'll be doing a guest post over Technicolor Cutie's blog in the next few weeks! I'm going to let you pick what I right about. Here are your choices:

1. How to redo your modern shoes a la 1940's
2. How to do a good set when you hair was destroyed by your stylist

Let me know what you'd like to see!


12 comments:

  1. Nice to see you back! I am so jealous you got to go roller skating! Sorry to hear your brother moved. That’s wonderful you two have a close relationship. All of your outfit details for the upcoming ball look beautiful! Looking forward to your guest post over on Technicolor Cutie. I vote for how to redo your modern shoes ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a really nice pair of roller skates I never use. I'm so afraid of breaking something.

    I would love to see option 1.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love rollerskating! It's not quite like riding a bike; it takes a little while to find the balance and get in the groove. I'm glad you like the purse and I'm excited to see your whole Carmen-inspired look!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun to rollerskate! Good for you trying these adventures out:) I think the hair clip is just perfect for you. Suits you well! I hope you have such a grand time at the 40's ball. You are doing an amazing job with all the rhinestones...I say if you can't have enough diamonds than you also can't have enough rhinestones:) The shoes look so lovely. Looking forward to seeing your complete outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY! Glad you're back on your blog!! Boo to your brother leaving though... Although I've been following your Instagram so it feel like you never left!!!!

    LOVE the shoes!! You make me want to try it on a pair of old wedges.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a shame that you had to change your outfit but those Carmen Miranda accessories are looking fabulous! I would love to see the final product.

    As for the guest post, I think either idea would be good but I would be really interested in the shoes tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish we had that same problem with it being too hot over here! :P I would like to see the shoe tutorial on TC's blog - your shoes and accessories are looking fab!

    Sorry to hear that your brother has moved away...but at least you can go and visit him! I'd imagine that there must be good vintage shopping in Virginia!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey silly me- just commented on an old blog piece (thinking it was today's) having navigated to your blog incorrectly.

    Anyhoo- have a great time at the big event this weekend! We will all be awaiting photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gawd I haven't been rollerskating in... decades, I think. Yikes! Can't wait to see more of that blouse. MM and Alice Cooper sounds super fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi sweet gal, thank you very much for sharing some of the going-ons that have been transpiring in your life lately with us.

    Great ideas for guests posts! I really like them both, but am going to give saving a set after a bad experience at the salon my vote.

    Wishing you a positive, happy summer,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this post! Love the rollerskating fun and those cute shoes are fabulous! Sorry to hear your brother is moving to Virginia. I am in Virginia too. Depending on where he is, there will be lots of interesting things to do and see when you come visit him.

    ReplyDelete
  12. rollerskating was one of my fav hobbies when i was a kid - but i gave up when i grew out of my skates ...
    i really love the remodeled wedges. they look great.

    ReplyDelete