Monday, August 19, 2013

And I'm Back!

Wow where to start? It’s been over a month since my last blog and have I ever been busy!! I have been keeping my word to myself about going out and living every second. I have probably lived more in the last month than I have in the last few years. It has been absolutely exhilarating, terrifying, wonderful, and at times tragic.

Very shortly before I posted about having cervical cancer I ended my five year relationship. That would be the one sad thing that has happened since my last blog. You've got to choose to be happy in life and I made a very hard decision for that happiness; in this case not just for me. I’ll be moving back to my favorite Denver neighborhood in two weeks into an amazing Art Deco apartment. Yes, I will post some pictures once I am unpacked and settled in. For now, here is a picture of the new building and some random photos of me from the last month (some of which you can see I am enjoying myself too much).



What else has happened? I met the most adorable burlesque dancer while she was visiting the Colorado Burlesque Festival (COBF) thanks to a very close mutual friend, Cha Cha Romero (founder of the Vanity Dollz).

I had received a text message asking me if I would be interested in attending the COBF; of course I would. I rushed home from a cancer fundraiser and donned my Whirling Turban two piece pants suit, my new magenta Miss L Fire Delano’s, a hair flower or two, and I was out the door (*with my hair in a mess).

I’m standing outside of the Paramount Theater and this lovely, tiny creature comes sauntering down the street in the most gorgeous dress I have seen in longer than I could remember. Please enter the amazing Ruby Champagne into my assemblage of friends.




The three of us spent the night dancing, laughing hysterically, and generally being bad!



I am beyond excited that I will be visiting Ms. Champagne and the divine Technicolor Cutie at the end of September! I've been planning outfits, Technicolor Cutie is making me a special dress, and the three of us are going to dinner together at the Cicada Club. I haven't looked this forward to a weekend since my trip to Hawaii a few years ago.

______________________________________________


During my absence, I have also lost 16 lbs (that's 7.26 kilo's for my international readers). Yes it does have to do a lot with the amount of activities but I am also sure it has a lot to do with the stress. Hopefully when the stress is gone I will be able to remain lighter.

The weight loss was most obvious at The Hotrod & Hoedown in Colorado Springs. Look how big those pants are!!! Those fit when I was at Viva in March. 


Did you guys recognize the purse from Mr. Tiny at Wacky Tacky? How about Erin from Aim High Erin? She is in the top left picture (which I stole from her!). Let me tell you, she is so sweet and so tall (little bit of envy from me). She was ever-so-gracious enough to bend down to my height after she realized I was a measly 5'4" (1.6256 meters).

I got to see The Lucky Few (always a wonderful group to see) as well as The Bellfuries. The latter will be playing in Denver the weekend I am gone to L.A. and man was I disappointed when I found out that I wasn't going to be able to attend. If you live in the Denver area and you don't attend, you are an idiot.

For those of you that have never heard Joey Simone & Bobby Trimble sing Sam Cooke's "Cupid" a capella, you are truly missing out. So here's a video of it so you won't be left out anymore.




I was so blown away by them singing this song that I couldn't even dance. I just stood there jaw gaping, staring wide-eyed that anyone could sing that song and hit it the way Sam Cooke did. Just amazing!


______________________________________________________


Denver has been lucky in music recently with Eddie Clendening moving here and a recent barge of wonderful touring bands making stops locally. One group that I was fortunate to catch was The Shadow Men. Ladies please be aware that all of these gentleman dance. They are shy and won't ask you but be bold and ask them. I asked each one and each obliged. Josh is a little harder to get out there but just tell him that you think he's lying about being able to dance and he'll prove you wrong.




________________________________________________


I have been heading to Mile High Soul Club and Motown Thursday's religiously. I've also hit every dance event I could.







I go to Motown Thursday's so often that when my birthday came, they threw me a party.




____________________________________________________


Exhausted yet? Shew, I know I am! We only have two more items and it will finally be over with.

This last weekend I emceed a pinup revue with the naughty, oh so very naughty, Eddie Clendening for Nightlight Digital and Vanity Dollz. I found two pictures of us on stage (maybe more later but that will be a different post). I won't repeat what was said but think of Abbott & Costello with only one microphone.



Stolen from this guy.

Outside of the pinup event, Eddie's band performed, we all danced, and there were some great cars.





I also got the chance to wear a few of my birthday presents (see earrings, tooled leather sandals, and carved Bakelite).



________________________________________


The last thing I have to announce after my month long break is that I will be dual blogging. I'll be here and I'll also be here at Whirling Turban!! I have some huge articles coming up over there so make sure you check in. I'll give you a tiny hint... think Hawaiian...


Finally done! See you all in a few days!


19 comments:

  1. Watch out Los Angeles! Malone is coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOWZA! What a fun-filled month. I need to take a cue from you and live life to the fullest! You look so happy and you are handling the rough times like a true champ! Thanks for the shout out and BRAVO!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mr. Tiny.

      BTW, I'll be in L.A. want to come out with us?

      Delete
  3. Welcome back! Looks like you have been having some incredible times! Have a blast in LA with TC! Looking forward to photos ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just following in your footsteps Elisa!

      Delete
  4. YAY!!! So glad your back!!!! Have fun in LA, sweets!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you honey. It feels good to be back!

      Delete
  5. Wow, I'm super jealous of all these fun events you've been attending, it looks like such a great time! Best wishes for your good health and welcome back :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to read about what you've been up to, a welcome return to the Blogosphere! Sounds like you're weathering the stormy sea one wave at a time - best of luck for good health, good love, and more good times!!

    P x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wowzers, you sure have been busy!!! I can't wait to read about your adventures in LA - I had such an awesome time there in March, I am slightly envious that I am not joining you there! :) I must say, you are looking fabulous - and I particularly love that yellow top/yellow & blue Mexican skirt combo. Gorgeous! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to have an update, but happier knowing you're enjoying life to the fullest! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lot of great and memorable times! So awesome you are going to write for Whirling Turban. The polka dot outfit on you looks divine! You are just looking so fabulous:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you liked the Shadowmen! We love them here in ABQ, their home town! :) Still sending good vibes your way with your health. You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your new art deco apartment building. It looks really familiar, but it's been 9 years since I lived in Denver, so I can't quite place it. I didn't realize there were so many vintage events going on in Colorado. How do you find out about them all?
    Hannah
    justpeachy-darling.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such great photos and so many good outfits!! Glad to see you've been spending time having fun with family and friends. Happy belated birthday! I don't know how this post never came up in my feed until NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow, such a haul of amazing pictures! you look so great n every single photo ...i wonder how i could missed this post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. your posts always make me laugh! Fabulous fun xxx

    ReplyDelete