Friday, November 22, 2013

Fashion Friday - Fur Trimmed Dresses

I have a terrible feeling that this post will be a little controversial. I know how strong opinions and feelings are on fur. Trust me, my mother has the same feelings and she likes to express her feelings to me anytime I am wearing fur. I'll say it as a preamble here, as I do to her time and time again, any fur I wear is early 1960's or older. I do not approve of wearing new fur and in general feel conflicted when I wear my vintage furs. 

______________________________________________________________________

It is finally getting cold in Denver. We've already had a random snow or two in the city but in general the temperatures have been pleasantly mild. It was as though we actually had a fall season this year.

Now that the weather is getting cooler, I am donning items that make me feel warmer. Case in point, this beautiful green lurex dress with fox fur trimmed cuffs that I purchased from Doris May Day last year for VLV 16. It's got holiday parties written all over it!







I think am going to the 1940's Christmas Ball and would love to wear this yellow beaded evening gown with white rabbit fur trim for $255.00. Honestly it was the beading on this dress that made me want it but the fur makes it feel like it could be appropriate for a winter function.

You can look at me here.




I'd want to wear this black chiffon cocktail dress with rabbit fur trim, for $135.00, to a Denver Christmas party if I wasn't headed home to Virginia for Christmas this year. I even have the perfect red shoes I could wear with it.


You can look at me here.




It would be a toss up which one of these two dresses I'd want to wear to my company's holiday party this year. Both are gorgeous and hide my tattoos (a ridiculous requirement in today's corporate environment).

The first is a black velvet wiggle dress trimmed in fox fur on the hemline for $295.00. I really love the neckline detail/cutout.

Look at me here.





The second dress is a black wool jersey wiggle dress with rabbit fur sleeve cuffs for $109.00 (kind of a steal compared to my other choices). The surprise feature about this dress is that it has pockets!!

You can see me here.




My last choice I would want to wear on New Year's Eve. The champagne color dress has beautiful silver beading and rhinestones with mink fur trim for $175.00. I've got to say that champagne is the perfect color for NYE. It's also not so heavily beaded or fur trimmed that it would be impractical to dance in.

You can see me here.






Do you own any vintage fur trimmed dresses? Would you buy one if it was vintage? What is your go to winter dress?


11 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I need a fur-trimmed dress, STAT! These are all gorgeous! I especially like the black wiggle dress with the fur at the hem. I also love the chiffon dress with the rabbit fur trim....although as cute as it looks, going around the bust and back, I would be so worried that I would sweat into the fur!!!! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing. I'd have to dance slower?

      Delete
  2. These are so gorgeous! I'm a fan of all of them, and I'll definitely have to look into a fur trimmed dress sometime in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find one that makes me jealous! Kind of like your beautiful new purple velvet dress.

      Delete
  3. Fur was such a big part of the vintage world so it certainly is hard to ignore it's impact. I'm with you about vintage fur. I'd never buy a new fur coat but there is a certain element of charm that a fur trim can add to a coat or in your case dress:) I have a 30's vintage coat with fur trim and I really love this coat. It was difficult for me to buy this coat because of my own conflict but I figure it's vintage and should be appreciated now that it is here and has lasted this long. I look at it as a remarkable piece of history. I also have a couple of fur collars that I haven't quite thought of the right outfit to pair them. All these dresses are grand and a couple look Dior inspired for a fraction of a Dior cost:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one fur collar I need to attached to something. My sweet little 80 year old neighbor gave it to me. It is a mink from Russia. It still has the original sale tag on it in Russian. I'll have to feature it one of these days.

      I wish I could have them all. Truly.

      Delete
  4. I completely share your view, actually! I would never knowingly buy new fur, but living in the most northern city in North America, where winters comes a month earlier than everywhere else and stays a month longer, it's COLD. At a few antique stores here you can get vintage fur coats, hats, stoles for affordable prices, and when it gets to -30C several times a winter, there aren't a whole lot of other materials that keep one warm. I feel wearing vintage fur is a form of recycling, and giving the item a use value. These fur trimmed dresses are amazing! Want!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you on the coldness. Last year it was -33C here and my furs were the only thing that really kept me warm. When your nose hairs start to freeze... I feel it is an okay time to break out the fur.

      I like your view that wearing vintage fur is a form of recycling.

      Delete
  5. Your green dress is out of this world, I can't get over how amazing the sparkle looks on that colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Helen Mae! It's one of those dresses that looks completely ridiculous on the hanger and then you put it on and it somehow makes sense.

      Delete
  6. I too will only wear vintage fur... and I have no qualms doing so! I have no fur trimmed dresses but my favourite one is the black frock Marilyn wears in Some Like it Hot - it's trimmed in monkey fur and looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete