Friday, November 15, 2013

Fashion Friday - Metal & Lucite Purse

What better way to get back to blogging than by restarting Fashion Friday? I'd make some banal excuse for my absence but you all know why I've been gone. My apologies that it took longer to come back than I had initially planned.

So as a refresher, on Fridays I will discover and share up to five items that I would purchase if money were no object. The series is called "Fashion Friday". For today's Fashion Friday, we are going to discuss metal and Lucite purses.

About a month or so ago, I went to a local antique market to find some thank you gifts for my Los Angeles girlfriends that were so kind to host me during my September vacation. I'll do a post about that trip soon but in the meantime you can see Technicolor Cutie's account of my devious trip here.

Anyway, I was at the antique market and I came across a stand that had all kinds of beautiful vintage furs, dresses, purses, patterns, etc. It was at that stand I laid my eyes on this petite beauty...

Are you judging the length of my skirt? You stop it!


She wasn't perfect (see the lid crack) and the metal is, of course, old and needs a good cleaning but she only cost $10.00!!! I couldn't believe my eyes. I snatched her up and took her to the register to confirm the price before I got too excited. I think we'll call her Goldie for the remainder of this post.

I don't know if you do this, but I like to go home and make sure that I've gotten myself a good deal (thanks mom!). Sometimes I am astonished by how much I've underpaid and sadly, on occasion, how much I've overpaid. I'm happy to say that I underpaid on Goldie and that she has also become a regular in my purse rotation.

I found two purses that are basically identical to Goldie. The first purse is on Etsy and will cost you a shocking $129.99!! 

You can look at me here


The second is also on Etsy but is a much more reasonable $44.00. You'll notice that this petite purse is silver instead of gold but that is the only real difference.

You can look at me here.


We will now stray away from Goldie's twins. I believe that if I had my "dream" Lucite and metal purse it would look like this (note that this is not my dream Lucite purse):

If you are hoarding this at your home. Please sell it to me. Thanks!


I only wish I could stomach paying $299.99 for this Tedro Fifth Avenue silver metal mesh weave / grey marbleized Lucite purse. But I'll save that and spend it on a Shaheen!!

You can look at me here.

The same seller is offering this carved Lucite and metal purse for $99.99. I love the lid and handle.

You can look at me here.


The last purse is this adorable carved flower Lucite and metal purse for $60.00.


You can look at me here.


I guess the take away on this Fashion Friday is to do a lot of looking and research to ensure you don't overpay. Goldie's twin is going for $119.99 more than I paid. That's a lot of money to spend on other items (or bills... those are also important).

What is the most you have spent on a Lucite and metal purse? What is the least you have spent?


10 comments:

  1. Way to go on your $10 find!! I love it! A good cleaning and some lucite adhesive are all you need! I have a white pearl lucite piece that has a broken handle (it was broken in the overhead bin on the plane on the way to viva 16). I have been looking for some adhesive that works with lucite. I think I may hit up a few hobby shops to see what I can find.

    I love all those bags pictured!!! I have a opal glitter bag, a silvertone metal basket and silver pearl top one, and my broken bag. I want more all the time and I always on the lookout for a good one for a good deal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember your post about your purse; it was heartbreaking even for me! I can't imagine how upset you must have been.

      I'll let you know if I find any good Lucite adhesive.

      I'd love to see your opal glitter bag and the silver pearl top!!

      Delete
  2. Welcome back! I've missed your posts. A very informative post about lucite purses. I'm still on the hunt for a really nice one. I've seen them go for multiple hundreds. Congratulations on your score! It's a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep my eyes peeled for you as well Joanna. I've seen a few out here that were good deals (not steals though).

      Delete
  3. I bought my very first lucite box purse today at an antique mall for $12! I thought it was miss priced too, but that's what I paid. It has a tiny crack like yours, but for that cheap, who cares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice!!! I am glad I'm not the only one still finding a good deal. Do you have a photo of your new lady?

      Delete
  4. I remember when those went for $25 because they were all over the place. *sniff* I'm getting old!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have company my friend! I honestly didn't really start to like Lucite purses until about a year ago... my own stupidity.

      Delete
  5. I completely love these box bags but sadly most if not all of the ones online tend to be well out of my current price range. It's something I'd like to save up for maybe this coming year though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are out of price range. I think the best thing to do is check locally and look for EBay auctions (but go in really informed).

      I am sure you will find a beautiful lady all of your own sooner than you think.

      Delete