Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Hand Paint Your Own Blouse

If you have followed me for any length of time you know that I am utterly obsessed with vintage spider print. I did a prior Fashion Friday article about my obsession approximately three years ago. For Viva Las Vegas 18, I asked a good friend of mine to help me recreate one of my favorite blouses. He is a talented painter and I needed a little help with the fine details. The original blouse is a 1940's ivory crepe blouse and while it is absolutely beautiful, it is missing the spider that goes with the web.

Available for purchase here.





I searched for months for a simple crepe or chiffon blouse that I could paint. I found many blouses but most were too low cut, ribbed or had beautiful detail on the neckline, or frankly were just too expensive. About three weeks before VLV, I found a pretty and cheap ($23.00) alternative in one of the last places I thought I would ever look, Forever 21. 

Available for purchase here.

It had the high neckline I wanted, the correct type of material, and if I ruined it I wouldn't feel completely terrible. I also love a little extra sparkle, so the rhinestone cuffs were a bonus for me.

I went to the craft store and purchased all surface / material, waterproof acrylic paints. I spent about $10.00 on all of the paint.

The entire project took about three hours on a Saturday and cost about $35.00 and here are the results.




We added a much needed, in my opinion, spider to the blouse. I decided that the spider blouse would be the anchor to my Viva Las Vegas car show outfit. I wore a similar brooch on my turban to bring the whole outfit together.





Have you ever hand painted your own clothing when you wanted to recreate something that was too small or too expensive?



<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/13944183/?claim=e87ke6a5zzp">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

3 comments:

  1. What a brilliant idea, I love the result, I love printing and painting on fabric. I may have to get involved with the spider web idea, I have lovely 40s scarf with an intricate spider web design on it. I may do a version of that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm quite in love with it myself. I honestly didn't know if it would turn out well or not.

      When you do yours please share as I'd love to see it!

      Delete