Thursday, April 09, 2015

Pre Viva Las Vegas 18

It has been nearly a year since I have written on here. A large reason was simply that I had lost my inspiration to write. After a name change and rediscovering my love for fashion, I have decided to come back and resume writing on a regular basis. I'll try to do a few catch-up entries in the future but for now I will just start with Viva Las Vegas 18.

I always fly into Vegas a few days before VLV starts so that I can unpack, do some shopping, and have a miniature vacation before the festivities really start. When done right, VLV can be absolutely exhausting. This year was no different and I flew in on Monday night. After checking into the airport I stopped into Root Down and had a delicious meal and glass of wine. They have designed these cute little tables for people flying solo that look outside and don't make you feel so awkward and alone. They also have free WiFi which is an added bonus.



I hopped onto my nearly empty flight to Vegas to start my pre-VLV vacation. After arriving in Vegas, I grabbed a rental car, check into my condo, and unpacked my overweight suitcase.

Tuesday morning I headed out to do some damage to my bank account. I wore my Atomic Swag t-shirt, Freddies of Pinewood Classic cut jeans, vintage tooled leather belt and handbag, and Bakelite earrings, bangles, and ring.




My first stop was at Glam Factory Vintage where I finally met Stephanie (the daughter of the mother/daughter team that run GFV). She and her mother are both incredibly sweet and attentive to their clients. All of the vintage was well priced and in wonderful condition. 





They had a Catalina black cat print swimsuit that I found almost impossible to resist. I only passed because I was watching my budget in case I needed it for VLV. I am still regretting that decision.



I did buy a gorgeous 1940's embroidered skirt for $22.00 before heading over to the Main Street stores.



There are approximately eight stores in a three block radius and all are worth a stop into. They vary from knickknacks to clothing to furniture. I made two more small purchases, a Dalton sweater and a 1950's necktie, before heading to Frankie's Tiki room for an afternoon beverage.

Mary Ann or Ginger? Mary Ann of course!

I love Frankie's but had not been there since Viva Las Vegas 17 when I visited with the incredibly beautiful Lola Devlin.



Frankie's scores their drink potency by using skulls and all drinks can be ordered in a souvenir Tiki mug for a small fee (you get to keep the mug). I ordered the Bearded Clam because the drink is similar to a mojito, which I love, and the mug is fantastic. I decided to not christen the mug but rather give it as a gift.




After sobering up, it was off to the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum. My boyfriend had recommended that I go check it out because I love pinball and it would give me something to do by myself instead of just shopping. Let me just say that the PHFM is kind of amazing and so cheap! I spent $20 but experienced four hours of fun. Most of the vintage machines have information cards that tell you about when they were manufactured, how many were made, etcetera.








After playing pinball for four hours, I grabbed some In-N-Out and returned to the condo to rest and relax.


The next morning, Wednesday, was spent grocery shopping before I headed out to Charleston Antique Mall. I wore my Classic Freddie's of Pinewood again, a different Atomic Swag t-shirt, and Bakelite bangles, earrings, and ring.



Once at Charleston Antique Mall, I spent a few hours roaming around looking at all of the records, knickknacks, and clothing. This place isn't as big as it looks from the outside but they do have a good selection of vendors.



I had all but given up on finding something reasonably priced when I came upon Leo the Pig (because a figural purse needs a name). He was an absolute steal at $16.00. He needs a new handle but otherwise he is in pretty good condition.



After I purchased Leo, it was after 5:00 pm and all the stores had closed. I headed home to get ready for the evening.

The Wednesday night Pre-Viva Showcase is always, in my opinion, the best Viva party. It isn't too crowded, there is lots of dancing, and most people who go to VLV regularly have started to arrive to town.




I opted to wear my 1950's Vanity Fair leopard print two piece that I had lined from Santa Muerte Trading Co., Bakelite ring, bangles, and earrings, and tossed my hair haphazardly into a poodle.




I was over-the-moon to see and meet lots of friends that I follow on Instagram. It is always so nice to put a real face to a name.



We danced, drank, and chatted until 3:30 a.m. or 4:00 a.m. and a small group of us headed out for pancakes and coffee.

I finally poured myself into bed at 5:00 a.m. with my tummy full and my feet blistered but ready to take on Viva Las Vegas.



No comments:

Post a Comment